Tuesday 18 February 2014

Watercolours inspired by Marjorie Blamey


These paintings are copied from Marjorie Blamey's wonderful book, "The Illustrated Flora of Britain and Northern Europe" which covers over 2400 plants. A former dairy farmer without any formal training in either painting or botany, she has become the most successful botanical illustrator alive. Over the years she has built up an archive of more than 10,000 paintings of flowers from the Arctic Circle to the Mediterranean, which are used in publications worldwide. She has illustrated and written more than 36 books about flowers. Marjorie is 95 and lives with her husband in Cornwall.

 Cherry Plum - Prunus cerasifera
Wild Cherry - Prunus avium

3 comments:

  1. wow, these are stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Holly, they are much appreciated. I painted these about 20 years ago! I guess I would have been quite good by now if I had continued. The good news is that after being inspired by my trip to see you guys, I am drawing again and enjoying it. I try to do some drawing every day, which I photograph and post to my blog. Hopefully you will be able to see my improvement over time. XXXX GRalph

      Delete

I look forward to your comments.